Uniform and Appearance
The school aims to develop in its students a corporate identity. All students are expected to be appropriately dressed in school uniform at all times. If parents are unsure of which uniform items are acceptable please contact school before you buy, especially footwear as this can be a very costly item.
We regularly review our rules on uniform, appearance and standards taking into account feedback from parents and students. At Lathom High School we value the strong support we have from parents over uniform matters.
Looking clean, smart and well groomed influences how people are treated and it can give a head start in life. Employers and college recruitment workers will also look and make a judgement on your child’s appearance.
Face, Hair & Piercings
- Hair must be one natural hair colour. It should be groomed and tidy.
- Only single-stud earrings are permitted. Multiple ear, facial and body piercings are not allowed in school.
- Hair accessories should be simple and safe. Hair accessories such as large flowers or scarves are not allowed. Hair bands or ribbons should be navy or black in colour. Long hair should be tied back in subjects such as PE and Technology.
Jewellery, Make Up and Nails
- Make Up needs to be kept to a minimum and be natural looking. Excessive Make Up will result in students being asked to remove it.
- Eyebrows must not be shaved or tattooed.
- Nail varnish is not permitted.
- Nails should be short and false nails e.g. acrylic or gel are not permitted.
- A wristwatch is the only itme of jewellery permitted.
Coats and Winter Clothes
- In cold weather students may wear hats, scarves and gloves outside school on the yard or walking to and from school.
- Jackets and coats must be removed before entering the school building.
- Boys – Plain black ankle-high shoes with black laces (no trainers or boots).
Girls – black ankle-high shoes with black laces and a sensible heel no higher than 2cm. No shoes to have flashes of different colour or bright logos.
- Boys and Girls - Trainers, canvas style shoes or sandals are not allowed. We understand how expensive shoes can be and equally how persuasive a young person can be but a black trainer is not a school shoe. If in doubt please contact the school.
Blazers,Trousers, Skirts and Ties
- Navy blue blazers should be worn at all times in school by students in Years 7 – 10.
- School jumpers should be worn at all times by students in Year 11.
- Teachers are able to give students permission to remove their blazers/jumpers in class. During hot weather the Headteacher will decide if blazers are required to be worn. They should always however be in the students’ possession.
- School ties (clip-on) – Any defaced or broken ties will be confiscated. Replacement ties cost £3.50 from the school office. Students must wear a tie at all times.
- Shirts/blouse – Need to be white and should be tucked in at all times. Open neck blouses are not suitable due to our ties being clip on.
- Black trousers with black socks (boys)
- Plain navy knee-length skirt, navy pinafore or navy trousers (girls).
- White/black knee-length/ankle socks or black/navy tights (girls).
- Navy polo shirt with embroidered with school logo.
- Navy shorts eimbroidered with school logo.
- Navy football/hockey boots.
- Football boots/shin pads (as appropriate for the activity).
All possessions should be clearly marked with the owner's name.
Non Uniform Days/Trips
Please bear in mind that normal lessons take place on non-uniform days and that our students represent our school when on school trips. Clothes should be suitable and appropriate for the busy school day or the school trip. They should not include bare midriffs, short skirts or low cut tops.
Purchasing School Uniform
You can purchase the school blazer, jumper, tie and PE kit from school only (current price list). Other items, such as trousers and shoes can be purchased from any supplier noting appropriate colour and design.
- Students should wear sensible footwear with low heels and covered toes.
- Items of clothing with potentially offensive words, statements or logos are not permitted.
- Black pen
- Green pen
- School Planner (given by school)
- School bag
- Scientific calculator
- Reading book